November 10, 2013

Menu and a Surprise

Monday - leftover soups -- We have quinoa-barley-veggie soup, fish stew (ended up making this instead of biscuits and gravy...highly recommended!), and after tonight we will also have tomato bisque. Certainly don't want all of these great soups going to waste!
Tuesday - fish stew -- we obviously liked it : )
Wednesdaycassoulet -- This is a French dish that I have never made before. Our friend Olivier (from France) will be joining us and I told him that I want his input (even criticism) since it's my first time making this. I'm hoping this will taste authentic!
Thursday - chicken tortilla soup -- tomato based chicken soup served over cubed cheese with crumbled tortilla chips on top (for our Bible study group).
Friday - homemade spaghetti from the freezer
Sunday - pasta with kale, olives, spicy turkey sausage and parmesan

Now for the surprise! 

I purchased something for the very first time two days ago. It was...


...A DUCK! If you peaked at the cassoulet recipe you may have noticed that it included duck, so maybe you are not surprised at all. But I sure am! I was planning to use chicken instead because I am not familiar with duck, plus I wasn't sure if I would find it at a grocery store that I have easy access to. Turns out that they have it at my usual grocery store but you have to ask for it. I asked (with much doubt) if they had any, and his question for me was "how many?" : O ....I shockingly responded with "I need one pound". He then said "no, like, they are whole ducks". He gave me the price and I said I'd take it. I gleefully left the store, walked home with my duck, and excitedly told Marshall about my purchase after arriving at home. So now I will spend some time on Wednesday reading about cutting and cooking them.


I can't imagine myself not discussing this process here on the blog. Hopefully this is something that you'll look forward to....pictures will be posted if they are not too graphic : )


Anybody happen to have a good duck recipe? I definitely have more than I need for the cassoulet.

No comments:

Post a Comment