September 18, 2014

Muesli - The New Oatmeal

I seem to know way more people that don't like oats than people that do like oats... At least oats in the form of oatmeal. I get it. I used to only like it with chocolate chips, and that was pushin' it.

Now I really like oatmeal, but I eat oats in many different ways.

Muesli is my current favorite. It's so easy to make, healthy, tastes nothing like oatmeal, completely customizeable, refreshing, and delicious. It's great for Summer! I guess I'm posting this slightly late for that statement, but there's still plenty of fruit around, and plenty of heat where I am!

Never heard of muesli? There are different ways to make it, and it can be bought in a box, but I'll give you a quick run down of how I do muesli.

1 part rolled oats, 2 parts milk, soaked together overnight in the fridge with whatever add-ins you like. That's it!

You could even just soak the milk and oats together overnight and throw in your additions in the morning if you prefer, but I like to have it all mixed together for the whole night so that the flavors can blend, and the milk will pick up some sweetness from the fruit (if you added fruit, that is).

Here are most of the ingredients necessary to make a few of my favorite kinds of muesli.


Banana Walnut
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup milk
A couple tablespoons of walnuts
1/2 a banana, sliced


Pear Cinnamon
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup milk
1/2 a pear, diced
A few hefty shakes of cinnamon


Marshall's Muesli
1/3 cup oats
2/3 cup milk (plus an extra splash)
A couple tablespoons of almonds
A few hefty shakes of cinnamon
pinch of mace (optional)
2 tsp. maple syrup




And there you go! Breakfast for three! (three people, one day OR one person, three days!)



I've only scratched the surface of what you could put in your muesli here, so be creative! When the blueberries were abundant and cheap I was really enjoying those in my muesli. Dried fruit works great. Walnut-raisin was a combo I enjoyed before Summer. Get it? Don't follow a recipe, follow your pantry, your budget, and your taste buds : )


No comments:

Post a Comment