September 27, 2013

Poached Egg and Bratwurst English Muffin Sandwich

This is delicious! Period. Or I guess I should say exclamation point. Marshall and I have made a few variations of this sandwich. We have used different types of sausage, cheese, and sometimes sauces. Every time it has been so tasty that your lip sticks out a bit when you see that your plate is empty. But I must say that I would rather experience that than frowning because you still have more on your plate! Not that I really know what that's like since my Mom and Mother-in-law are excellent cooks. Anyway, to the sandwich.

Homemade sourdough English muffins (toasted), caramelized onions, bratwurst, poached eggs (technique video for poaching eggs), a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, and a pinch of salt on the broken egg yoke. And yes, we had cute little cups of applesauce on the side : )


I realize this isn't a fabulous picture, but I hope the combination of words and picture give you an idea of how yummy this sandwich is and how excited you should be about trying it. We thought that cheese was unnecessary for this variation that already had the egg and sausage (yes, even Marshall), but play around with it to cater it to your taste. We've used kielbasa, Italian sausage, brats, bacon, cheese instead of egg, a lot of onions, a few onions, etc. I think you get the point. We eat these open face (and I usually eat my other half muffin with just butter...the muffins have such a nice flavor). I keep mentioning the fabulous English muffins but I know that most people don't have a sourdough starter. I've seen sourdough English muffins in the store (with white flour), but obviously any kind you like would work. And if poaching eggs is not your thing you could use some other form of egg. I highly recommend picking up poaching though! Marshall is the expert in our home : )

No comments:

Post a Comment