October 3, 2013

Camping!

We had the pleasure of leaving the city to do a little camping trip at Amicalola falls last weekend! It was so relaxing and fun (Marshall's hair holds on to the smoke smell for a long time...he's still trying to get it completely out, and he is a very thorough hair washer!).


 Marshall and Bundo had to spend a lot of time working of the fire to keep it going because the wood was so WET! We had more of a "smoke" than a fire. But one way or another Marshall managed to cook up these delicious steaks for dinner : ) ...along with Irish soda bread, which was prepared before coming.


Most of the day until this point I had eaten carrots and apples. This meal was very satisfying. We then cooked up some Korean sweet potatoes in the fire. yummy yummy!


We have learned that something wonderful happens to these potatoes while cooking in the fire. Not that they aren't good otherwise, but they are extra special when they cook in coals for an hour(ish). Just so soft and sweet! Definitely could be considered dessert.....unless you decide it would be fun to whip up some butterscotch scones in a dutch oven. That's what we did! Here is our proof.


It took a bit of trial and error before we made this gorgeous batch. The others were also good, except for the burned bottoms. As you can see in the following photo, we liked them.

: )


After a wonderful night of sleeping on rocks (It wasn't as bad as it could have been) we woke up to get started on breakfast. Which means we must first have fire! Here is the beginning stage of that.  


Our breakfast was Korean "Ramen" and tea. Both of which require hot water.  


Bundo and I filled up the dutch oven while Marshall worked on getting the fire ready. I know that filling a pot with water would not normally be a two person job, but camping changes things! You can't just hop over to the sink and fill her up. You have to go to the water pump! Yes, we still had easy access to water. Plus, holding a dutch oven full of water is definitely a two hand job. Must have a friend to turn the water off for you if you don't plan on flooding the camp site while you bring the pot over to the fire.

Here is our lunch we had just before leaving. Bratwurst with mustard, and an apple. 


These were also grilled well by my grill master the 2nd in the making : ) 


Time to go home! I sure love that camping food, but I was also ready to go home to my kitchen and start utilizing my ninja blender for some new green smoothie ideas. I've made a couple in the recent days, and will be making more in the coming days. I plan to share whichever become my favorites (I think I had one today that will remain a favorite!). 

I'm excited to share something new I learned about vegetables recently!


2 comments:

  1. This post made me hungry!!! Thanks for taking me along on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense to Bundo, but Korean ramen for BREAKFAST!? Well, I suppose, if you ate your scones for dessert the night before...

    ReplyDelete