December 7, 2013

Menu and a Recipe

This Sunday I will not be cooking. We're going out to lunch with a couple of friends after church, and then for dinner we will be going out with our neighbors, Bundo and Kyungsun! Can't wait to see Kyungsun after 7 months of missing her while she was in Hong Kong!!!

I have a couple of new recipes for this week that hopefully you will find interesting. I am especially looking forward to the coconut curry soup.

Monday - black bean and black olive cheddar quesadillas
Tuesday - coconut curry soup with tilapia and veggies
Wednesday - buckwheat crepes filled with smoked salmon, homemade creme fraiche, and chives (requested by Olivier, who also found the buckwheat crepe recipe for me!)
Thursday - matzo ball soup (using my homemade turkey broth)
Friday - brats on homemade pretzel buns 

I'll be working on Saturday and don't have a plan yet for Sunday. 

Since I am so excited about this Coconut Curry Soup I thought I'd share the recipe. Though I haven't made this before I am certain that it will be good. And if changes need to be made I will most definitely inform you! This is a recipe that I changed up based on one I found on the Trader Joe's website.

Coconut Curry Soup
2 Tbsp. butter (or coconut oil)
1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. Crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 lb. vegetables of choice (I used broccoli, cauliflower, and snow peas)
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
2 - 3 cups chicken broth (just depending on how chunky you want it)
1 medium apple, peeled and chopped (or mango)
2 Tbsp. cream or heavy cream (I used coconut cream since I had an open can in the fridge)
2 - 3 raw tilapia fillets, chunked (or 2 cups cooked chicken - if using chicken put it in with the apple so it can heat through)
Salt to taste (if necessary)


Directions
Melt butter in a medium pot. Saute the onion for about 5 minutes on medium heat with the lid on. Add the curry powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, and cinnamon to the pot. Stir to combine, and cook 1 - 2 minutes  or until fragrant. Add the vegetables, coconut milk, and chicken broth, stir, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the apples and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in the cream and place your chunks of tilapia in the soup. Simmer a few minutes until tilapia starts to flake. serve immediately.


P.S. If you like sour cream you should check out the homemade creme fraiche video I linked above! I don't even like sour cream and I am making it : )

No comments:

Post a Comment