December 20, 2013

Vegetables - Eat Them

In this post I'm going to share some typical vegetables we have for dinner and how I prepare them. I generally do simple vegetables, so what you are going to read is not going to revolutionize your world of vegetables. I usually prepare them in ways that don't destroy/remove their nutrients such as steaming as opposed to boiling.

Some of the most likely vegetables to find at our table include kale, peas (those two are great combined!), green beans, bell peppers, and carrots. And other loved, but not as common vegetables (due to looking bad or being priced high) include brussel sprouts and fennel. This is not the extent of our veggies, but I don't see a need to list for you every kind of vegetable the grocery store has. I usually prepare kale by doing a quick saute over medium heat in a little bit of butter or oil. Simply heat the butter/oil in the pan for a minute, add the kale, cover, and cook for a few minutes until they are tender (about 8 minutes depending on how hot your pan is). As mentioned previously, mixing peas into this tastes great! Peas by themselves I steam, green beans I steam, and the most common way we eat bell peppers and carrots is raw. Brussel sprouts I either steam or roast, and fennel is almost always roasted (and usually mixed with something like sausage and potatoes : ).

So nothing too exciting as far as vegetables (well, I think kale, peas, and brussel sprouts are pretty exiting!). But the point of this post is to.....well, eat your vegetables! And green smoothies are another great way to do that.

So maybe I've just been out of the loop forever, but does anybody know what this is?! I'll give you a hint:

It's really tasty! : )


Tip for eating more fruit: More clementines bought, more clementines eaten. Buy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment