January 29, 2014

Snow Day!....And What I Would Have Bought at the Market

I've heard snow predictions a couple of times since living here. How much snow have we had? None!....until yesterday! : ) 


It snowed the whole day starting at about 11am. It was so beautiful! The difference between here and Illinois is that when we woke up in the morning, even though the snow had stopped overnight, the roads still had snow (and ice!) on them, and it was SO quiet outside because very few people were going to work. Not even me! I was pleasantly surprised to receive a text saying that I didn't need to come. I am now sitting on our couch while Marshall is on a conference call that would normally take place at his advisor's office, however his advisor will not be in the office to lead the call. Two inches of snow makes a big difference for a city with 6 plows and no (or very little) salt.

I won't be going to the market today either. This means the leek and sausage pasta will not be made tomorrow since the leeks and sausage will still be at the market! Rosa sauce will probably take its place since I have everything to make it again.

I was planning to do a "My Cart From the Market" post, but since I'm not going to the market, you're going to get a "What I Will Miss that I Would Have Bought at the Market" post. Here it goes:

Parsley - I've made it a rule to always buy parsley at the market. It's so fresh that it usually lasts a month in the fridge, and it's much more tender than what I buy at Publix. And it's 39 cents!

Kale - unbeatable freshness and price!

Dried Cherries - was going to buy them mostly for salads, and also snacking on with nuts. Don't remember the exact cost, but they are much less than at your average grocery store.

Loose Leaf Early Gray Tea - great taste, great price -- Have you detected a theme here?

Hibiscus Licorice Tea - Sounds kind of strange, but it's a fabulous, unique tea they have that I am out of....will miss it for a couple of weeks.

Nicoise olives - a new type of olive that I discovered....so tasty!

Well, there's a summary of the food I will not be eating this week.... : ) In the meantime, I'll enjoy the snow since it may be all we get for the next 2 1/2 years!



2 comments:

  1. I saw so many articles/horror stories about Atlanta travel/roads yesterday. Glad to hear you're both managing just fine! :)

    ReplyDelete