March 5, 2014

Soaking Oats


This process is incredibly simple! Why do it? Soaking grains basically allows for the most nutritional benefit and the easiest digestion.

Here is what you need:

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp. whey, kefir, yogurt, kombucha*
Directions
Place all ingredients into a small pot. Let them soak overnight or up to 24 hours. That's it! : ) 

*I used whey that I had left from making kefir cheese. Yogurt will be fine if you don't have any of these fermented things on hand. It could also be done simply with water.




I like to cook my oatmeal with half water/half milk. So then in the morning I put 1/2 a cup of milk into the pot and let it simmer, covered, until it is done. This makes two servings for me. The second serving goes into the fridge and I reheat it gently with a splash of milk or water the next morning. Sliced banana and either pecans or walnuts have been my usual mix-ins. And yes, sneaking some flax seed meal or chia seeds in this for the soaking process is definitely a good idea. If you prefer to cook your oatmeal in just water you can put all the water in the night before and then you just need to turn it on in the morning. 

Other mix-in ideas:
  • Berries and coconut flakes
  • Berries and nut butter
  • Bananas and nut butter
  • Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar
  • chocolate chips and anything : )


This method can be applied to other grains as well. As of right now the only other grain I have done this with is quinoa. And since I was using it for dinner and not breakfast I didn't use the cinnamon. Otherwise it is the same.

Simple, cheap, healthy, and the hands-on time is very short! 





No comments:

Post a Comment