March 6, 2014

My 5 Day Cleanse Plan

Here is a summary of what I mean by a cleanse:

No sugar (except naturally occurring in fruits/veggies), no white flour, nothing processed like packaged meals, crackers, cereals, pasta, granola bars, etc. I'll be avoiding preservatives (that can be hidden in meat, dairy, etc). I won't be eating anything too heavy like cheese or excessively fatty things like pork.

So in a small nutshell: Whole, unprocessed foods in their original state.

So what will I be eating?


Here is a snapshot at some of my choices.

My focus will be on vegetables, fruits, fermented foods (which are fabulous for many things, including beneficial bacteria for ease of digestion), and whole grains such as oats, quinoa, and wheat. These grains will be soaked (for most nutritional benefit and ease of digestion). I'll have a glass of lemon water (1/2 a lemon squeezed into a tall glass of room temperature/warm water) or a kefir green smoothie each morning for (or with) my breakfast. Legumes, eggs and quinoa will help supply me with protein. I'm also going to make myself a small loaf of a sourdough dutch-oven bread made with white whole wheat flour.

Basically, I'm going to eat light, healthy meals that are packed with nutrients, that are easy to digest, and will help "clean out" my system for better functioning.

I chose to make meatless meals for this cleanse. If you want to do the cleanse, but don't want to go meatless, just stick to organic and grass-fed.

Here are my meal plans for dinner:

Friday -  broccoli salad -- a variation of THIS recipe
Saturday - herbed lentils with a side of sauteed mushrooms
Sunday - beans n' rice -- for real this time....no package so I'm not skeptical. I follow THIS recipe except I use brown jasmine rice.
Monday - Mexican quinoa -- soaked quinoa with chili powder, cumin, onion, green pepper, blacks beans, and corn.
Tuesday - herby and spicy baked sweet potatoes tossed with sauteed white beans

My hope is that doing this cleanse is easy and feels normal. My goal is to eat very close to this on a daily basis anyway. However, I know that sugar and other processed things sneak their way into my diet. This cleanse should help me to see how often that really happens and then I can decide if I need to make any big changes.

Has anybody else done a cleanse before? What type of cleanse? Ever considered a cleanse like this? Any questions? : )


No comments:

Post a Comment