March 25, 2014

Weekend Cooking

Biscuits and gravy topped with Marshall's beautifully poached eggs

After talking about how I would never give up biscuits and gravy, I just had to make it this weekend. We experimented with the sauce a bit this time and it turned out great! I normally use milk, but this time I used homemade creme fraiche, cream, and some water. Heavy it was, but delicious it also was. A bit of parsley and a touch more paprika than usual made this white-on-white-on-white dish a little bit more colorful. As you may have guessed, that was Marshall's plate : ) 

First rye bread in the books!

I made this homemade rye bread on Sunday that we used for our Reubens on Monday. 

And....

It was ever so conveniently ready before....

 Dinner on Sunday ; )

Marshall made the pasta and I prepared the vegetables. The pasta was made with two-thirds buckwheat flour (which is why it looks kind of purple) and one-third all-purpose flour.The kale, tomatoes, and Brussels sprouts worked wonderfully together and made for a quick, yummy, healthy pasta dish. I used the same roasted tomatoes that I used in THIS recipe. These freeze well, so I've been keeping them around to throw in pasta dishes, heat up and eat on some toast, in place of diced tomatoes for beans n' rice, etc.  

Dear buckwheat,
Thank you for being nutritious, delicious, AND beautiful!

 Cappuccino flats

I made these for Marshall to bring to the office on Monday. And I kept a couple for myself, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment