April 14, 2014

No Menu This Week....

...But you can't really complain because I'm sharing a chocolate recipe with you : )

This granola is dangerously good. Seriously! This is how life goes when this granola is in the house:

Wake up - eat granola, come home from work - eat granola, eat dinner - eat granola, go to bed - think about how you can't wait to wake up so you can eat granola.


I can't claim bragging rights for this recipe though. HERE is the blog I found it on. The first time I made it I didn't have buckwheat groats and I just used 1 additional cup of oats in their place. The second time I did have them and I loved the extra crunch they added. However, if you can't find or don't care to buy them, it was delicious without them as well. I used walnuts instead of hazelnuts (and I'm sure pecans would also be good), and I used brown sugar in place of coconut sugar. Anyway around it, you should end up with a crunchy, chocolatey, delightful bowl of granola, which tastes out of this world with some milk (which becomes chocolate milk!). I will happily admit that I could easily be caught eating this by the handful anytime of day. It's just that good. 

Make sure it lasts you at least few days though. Because most likely you will want to make another batch as soon as it's gone, and who really has time to make this every day? Oh yeah, and there's the calorie consideration ; )

Chunky Chocolate Buckwheat Granola
Ingredients
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup buckwheat groats
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • ¼ cup chia seeds
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • ½ cup cocoa powder

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. In a large bowl combine oats, buckwheat, shredded coconut, chia seeds, and brown sugar. Roughly chop nuts and add them to the bowl.
3. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt coconut oil. Add honey or maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine until smooth.
2. Pour liquid ingredients over dry and fold coat.
3. Spread mixture out in an even layer on a lined baking sheet and press firmly with the back of a spatula to ensure that the mixture is compact. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip granola in large chunks, and place back in oven to bake for another 10 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes until toasted and fragrant. The dark color of the granola makes it hard to tell if it is done or not. I tasted a walnut to make sure it was nicely toasted.
Next step for you? I'm sure you know! ....
.....WAIT! Just in case you didn't catch it, I'm going to suggest you make this ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment