April 9, 2014

Tuna Cakes with Creamy Chive Sauce

I have posted the link for these tuna cakes a few times now, but I never make it quite like the recipe, and there are a couple of big differences that I thought it wasn't fair for you not to know.

Say hello to a deliciously healthy dinner plate


Tuna Cakes
2 cans of tuna packed in water, drained -- approximately 5 oz. each can
1 egg
1/4-cup bread crumbs of choice -- I have been using matzo meal
1-2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1-2 Tbsp. chives -- or green onion, sweet onion, or any combination of the 3
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. onion powder (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
provolone cheese (optional)


Creamy Chive Sauce
1 small container of plain, nonfat, Greek yogurt -- approximately 5 oz.
2 tsp. mayonnaise
1 tsp. spicy brown mustard
2 Tbsp. chives -- or green onion, sweet onion, or any combination of the 3
1/4 tsp. onion powder
salt to taste

I don't measure anything except the bread crumbs for this recipe, it's really all approximate and up to your taste.

Directions
It's basically unnecessary to have directions because this is what they are:

Combine all ingredients for the tuna cakes in a bowl except the cheese, form into patties (I make 2 large patties, but you could definitely make 3 or 4 if you don't want them so big) refrigerate until you are ready to cook them. 

When ready to cook, add a bit of butter or oil to a pan on medium heat. Put patties in the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and heated through (about 5 minutes per side). If using the cheese, I put it on immediately when I flip the patties to the second side. A lid will help the cheese melt better but it isn't necessary

Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a bowl, refrigerate until ready to use.

I prefer to make everything ahead of time. The  sauce is better when it had time in the fridge, and if I'm getting home late from work I just need to quickly heat the prepared patties and dinner is ready!

Here are two ways to serve them:

I had mine on a bed of spinach and Marshall had his on an English muffin with cheese. Both ways are very good!

1 comment: