June 11, 2014

First Menu After Germany

After two weeks of not cooking I am SO ready to get back in my kitchen! Actually, I missed cooking so much that Marshall and I made dinner for the family we stayed with in Copenhagen on our last night there : ) However, I am so glad that I made a pizza before leaving for the trip so that I don't have to cook today, and we are having dinner at a friend's place tomorrow. It's nice to not have to think about dinner while I'm unpacking, doing laundry, and getting ready for normal life again.

Eating all of the "once in a whiles", which is my new term for all of the traditional dishes that Germans would actually only eat now and then but we had to eat every day to fit them into our two weeks, was certainly delicious, but I am ready to get back to our normal way of eating. Not to say nothing was healthy but, put simply, we ate far less produce, more meat, and more sugar. Though I look forward to finding recipes for and trying my hand at making some of the German dishes we had, for now I'm mostly sticking with simple.

Wednesday - kalamata olive pizza from the freezer (as mentioned earlier)

Thursday - whatever our friend prepares -- It's such a blessing to have a meal prepared for you!

Friday - cheeseburgers (no buns), roasted carrots, and boiled potatoes

Saturday - tomato-basil-mozzarella pizza

Sunday - pierogies, kielbasa, and roasted Brussels sprouts


Here's a little sneak peak from our trip 

Marshall, Lothar, and myself at a castle

 Full view of the castle from the previous picture

 Cappuccino and apple strudel 

Schweinshaxe

Changing of the guard at the royal palace in Copenhagen


2 comments:

  1. Welcome home!!! Love the pictures! My response...1. Beautiful! Thank you for putting yourselves in the picture. :) 2. Jealous! I would love to see it for myself. 3. Now THAT is what I call Apple Strudel! 4. Whaaat? 5. Cool beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concerning #4 - It's crispy pork knuckle. Sounds good, right? No, but it really is delicious!

      Delete