June 26, 2014

Tomato Basil Mozzarella on EVERYTHING!

I am as close to obsessed with this combination as I ever want to be with a food combo. Put it on pizza, sandwiches, salads, crepes, English muffins, and so on, and so on. I've been eating this way more than bananas and peanut butter : O

Despite this not being particularly German, it all started in Germany.


I'd say that this sandwich started the whole obsession, but that wouldn't be true. This was approximately the 5th out of 6 - 7 of  these sandwiches that I ate in Germany. There are bakeries all over the place and almost all of them sell sandwiches with meat/cheese or tomato-basil (sometimes pesto)-mozzarella. These bakery sandwiches are not only really delicious - they are cheap! It's not that I had never heard of this combo, but I didn't have it often. I also was never too excited by it because I am not a tomato fan. However, on this trip I discovered the beauty of tomatoes when eaten in this way. 

Here are two ways I've enjoyed this combination since coming home.


Threw down some fresh mozzarella on a toasted English muffin with tomato, basil, and herbs de Provence. Fresh basil is SO good (And I think I say that every time I smell it). 

After having a pizza similar to this in Germany I was craving it at home.


Mozzarella slices, basil leaves, tomato slices, light drizzles of olive oil before and after cooking. Why did I drizzle olive oil before and after? Not really sure. Seemed like a good idea and I wouldn't change anything about this pizza, so maybe you should do it that way too.

TIP: Salting each tomato right before serving really enhances the flavor. Don't skip this silly step!

In addition to these two items I also made a crepe filling with sauteed spinach, basil, tomato, and herbs de Provence, which I put on top of mozzarella which was laid on my crepe. 

AND I went to have lunch with Marshall one day, and what did I bring? A spinach salad with.....nevermind. If you can't figure out what I put in my salad just ask me. I'll give you a hint: When I took my last bite Marshall looked at me and said "Did you just eat what I think you ate?", and began to talk to Olivier about how I couldn't stop eating this particular combination of food that I don't want to mention because maybe you won't figure out what I ate on my salad if I don't tell you.

What can I say? I'm ALMOST obsessed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment