July 29, 2014

My Sandwich Bread Recipe

I've been making this bread, which is what we use for sandwiches, toast, and other things, for about 1 1/2 years. I tried a couple different recipes, picked one to be the go-to, and then made some changes to suit our taste. I changed the method a little bit too, so it takes less time and the end product is the same.


I did a cost analysis on this bread a year ago and discovered it only costs $1.07 per loaf. Obviously costs for the ingredients and for pre-made bread from the store vary a lot depending on where you live, so it wouldn't be the same savings for everyone, but for me it's a quarter of the price of the bread I had been buying (though I almost always bought it buy one get one free, but it's still half of that). 

So for us this is a much cheaper, healthier, and tastier option : ) 

....And really, who can resist kneading a soft, warm, supple dough ball?


Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
  • 2 cups warm water, divided
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup oil of choice
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 Tbsp. cracked wheat
  • 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups additional flour - I usually use white whole wheat, sometimes all purpose, and I've even just added more whole wheat

Directions:

  1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes until frothy. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix remaining 1 3/4 cups warm water, honey, molasses, oil, egg, and lemon juice. Mix well. Add yeast mixture and stir.
  2. Gradually add 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, beating well after each addition. Add the flax and cracked wheat and stir well.
  3. Let stand for 20 minutes until mixture is very light. Stir in salt and the rest of the flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
  4. Knead 10 to 15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Put into a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
  5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Punch down the dough and split it into two pieces.
  6. Form into loaves, make three diagonal cuts (1/2 - 1 inch deep) across the top, cover, and let rise 30 minutes.  
  7. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Sometimes I skip the cracked wheat and/or flax, I've added 1/2 cup oats, all honey or all molasses works, etc. Suit yourself! (and/or your family : )


I've had the best success with slicing when I wait a few hours after the bread is done to slice it. I usually let the loaves cool for about 10 minutes in the loaf pan, transfer them to a wire rack, and after they're cooled I wrap them with a towel so they aren't completely exposed to the air, and then I cut them a few hours later. It's much less crumbly on the outside this way. I store it in the freezer and then can easily pull off the amount of slices I need when I need them. I usually get about 16 slices from each loaf.

Despite the slicing suggestion, don't hesitate to cut yourself a fresh-warm piece of bread.

And have it with butter.




2 comments:

  1. Yum! I will have to try this. I never liked honey wheat much but recently learned, from my Aunt Jayne in CO, that it is probably only the crust that I do not like. Of course home made changes everything! Nice cutting board "of death" btw! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could also skip the honey if you don't want to put the work in to something you may not like. Extra molasses or brown sugar in it's place would work. Hope you like it!

      Delete