November 18, 2014

My Sweet Potato Story

I was never a fan of sweet potatoes. And why I was sure I would never like them is because I didn't like the Thanksgiving version with sugar and butter topped with marshmallows. If I didn't like them that way, how could I like them any way?

Then I was introduced to Asian sweet potatoes. Purple on the outside, white on the inside, and when thrown into a fire for an hour they become dessert. They were much sweeter than any potato I had tasted, and far better than the orange kind that claimed to be sweet. I began buying them (the Asian kind) here and there (and always when we were going camping!), and I really started to like them. Now, more than ever, I was convinced that I did not like, and probably would never like, an orange sweet potato.

After making this sweet potato-carrot-apple-red lentil soup many times for Marshall and I with the Asian sweet potatoes, I made it for my nanny family with the orange kind.....

.....And I liked it.

But, of course, the actual flavor of the sweet potato was masked by carrots, apples, and a plethora of strong spices, so clearly I did not like their true colors. 

Hesitantly, I started making the previously mentioned soup with orange sweet potatoes, even at home. They were cheaper and the soup tasted basically the same, so I began buying them and using them almost exclusively for that soup. 

Then I was served sweet potato fries at a friend's house. Orange sweet potatoes that is. And I like them. I liked them so much that I made them at home.

And then I made them at home again.

And then I made these honey lime sweet potato tacos. And guess what? I loved them.




And I made them again. They're now something I really look forward to every time I make them.

Last week I found myself eating half a sweet potato for lunch! How did that happen?

And guess what I'm having for dinner tonight? slow cooker sweet potato lentils.




And now one of my favorite things to have for dinner while Marshall is gone is herbed sweet potatoes and white beans. Which is just sliced sweet potatoes with oregano, chili powder, and salt, tossed with sauteed white beans.

Now it's a rare day that you would find my pantry not holding a few sweet potatoes. Yes, I'm referring to the orange variety.

Why am I telling you this? To encourage you to try new things, of course!

But also to encourage you to not give up on things that are good for you that you haven't enjoyed in the past. Such as sweet potatoes, or exercise, or tiramisu (good for the soul, right?). You never know when your taste buds will change, or when that particular recipe will come along that changes your mind.

This is my  sausage-sweet potato-cranberry casserole (also full of sweet potatoes)


Give it time. Just because you didn't like something when you were 5, 25, or 45, doesn't mean it won't be your favorite thing later.

I'm currently working on tomatoes and avocados. Ask me how it's going in about a year.


Turning 23 might make a difference : )



1 comment:

  1. A girl after my own heart... acquiring new tastes is fun! Michael teases me though - he claims if something tastes disgusting then I will decide to like it. (He's not one to try new foods. Clearly he has a different idea of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete