April 26, 2015

A Reverse Menu

This is our menu from the previous week, though it includes today and I haven't made dinner yet : )


Monday - quinoa sausage bites, roasted asparagus, sauteed kale and plantains




I did the quinoa sausage bites with twice as much quinoa, and used monterey jack cheese instead of goat cheese. I've tried preparing plantains before and was never too happy with how they came out. I learned a new method recently that is super easy and much more tasty. Simply slice them (mine were between an 1/8 and a 1/4 inch), add coconut oil to a pan, and saute them over medium low heat until soft and caramelized. I just set mine in the pan on one side and flipped them over 3 or 4 times over the course of 15-20 minutes. All they needed was a little bit of salt.  Even those pieces that look burned didn't taste burned at all. However, that could be avoided with a little more oil and a little more attention. I had a small bit of several different veggies so I had to use them all up!

Tuesday - breakfast burritos

I made these with red potatoes, breakfast sausage, onions, and eggs. I'd normally serve these with salsa, sour cream, and cheese, but since I didn't have any sour cream or salsa we just used chipotle sauce and cheese.

Wednesday -  shrimp fried rice basically like this one

Friday - shrimp pad Thai



This was the second time I've made this shrimp pad Thai and we both really like it. I make it with more shrimp in place of the tofu. I love bean sprouts, so I'll use them any chance I get : )

Sunday - Brats and Italian sausages, roasted potatoes, roasted broccoli, and sauteed plantains as explained above




Again, had some things to use up and we're having Max and Aubrey over, so it was the perfect chance to use up some things I didn't want to waste -- I really don't like wasting food. Making it all soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment