May 17, 2016

A Better Late Than Never Mother's Day/Birthday Food Recap

I basically choose what both of us eat every day since I do all of the meal planning, but it was still fun to plan the food for this special day because I was choosing the things I love. Let's jump in to the fun!

I don't do this every day, but I've frequently been starting my day with a glass of warm lemon water. Sometimes I'll add ginger and/or a dash of cayenne pepper. This whole combination is a detoxifying, metabolism boosting, digestive enzyme activating drink! It's really an invigorating way to start the day! If I was looking for a cozy, relaxing, warm drink I wouldn't choose this, but I usually like to start my day with a little more of a boost from something like this or a green smoothie.




For breakfast I had my new lemon berry chia cereal. I love this stuff. So delicious, filling, and healthy. I think the raspberry version tastes like melted rainbow sherbet. We were headed off to the early church service so we decided a quick breakfast was the best bet.




For lunch we had a picnic! On the way home from church we stopped by Amelie's (a French bakery) to grab a couple treats, and we each chose a macaroon. Marshall's was cinnamon with a ganache filling and mine was pistachio. And the best part about this was the kind man who ordered right before us purchased in advance the next three macaroons for Mothers! How unexpected and kind. Other than dessert we had meats, cheese, crackers, a dense molasses bread that I had actually made a few days before and it didn't turn out right, but it went really well with salty meat, brazil nuts, dried apricots, bell peppers, and pineapple. Marshall also made an iced berry tea. The food was tasty but the best part of lunch was just being out in the relaxing park. It was so peaceful there and the temperature was great in the shade. We had a nice time, including Estella. She loved looking at the trees above her!








My wish for dinner was for Marshall to watch Estella so I could cook with two hands in peace! I love cooking so I wanted to do it, but it's so much more relaxing if I'm not also watching her. I ended up waiting to make dinner until she was sleeping, and that way Marshall and I also got to eat a quiet dinner. We had pecan crusted swai, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a broccoli kale slaw kit from Trader Joe's. I loved it! 




The dessert I chose was fruit pizza! The crust was made of nuts and dried fruit, it had a raspberry sauce, and for the toppings I chose mango, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, and toasted pecans. Yum! Very fresh (obviously) and light. I really enjoyed it that day as well as the following three days. Marshall said he liked this a lot more than he expected to and he ate it with me all the following days as well. I'm so proud of him : )




Well, that does it for my food recap! This is not at all what I would have chosen to eat a few years ago, so this just goes to show that your taste buds really do change. I had never even heard of some of these foods a few years ago! I was happy to have a fun, special, celebratory day while still eating healthy but feeling like I was indulging a bit. I'm learning that special doesn't have to mean a lot of sugary, rich, heavy food. I enjoy being able to eat this kind of food, really like it, and still feel good at the end of the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment