September 3, 2014

My Pizza Crust and Sauce Recipes

I can't claim credit for these great recipes because I didn't create them myself, but I have no idea where I got them from. So just know that someone out there made these recipes, they're great, and you should try them : )

Ingredients for Pizza Sauce:
6 oz. can tomato paste
3/4 cup warm water
3 Tbsp. grated parmesan
1 tsp. minced garlic (I often use garlic powder for this)
2 Tbsp. honey
3/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. each dried oregano, basil, marjoram, and black pepper
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
a pinch of cayenne
salt to taste

Directions for Pizza Sauce:
Combine all ingredients in a small ball, let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes for flavors to meld.

Marshall likes more sauce than me, so I think this is too much for a pizza and he thinks it's just about right. It just depends on the size of your pan and how much sauce you prefer. If you like your sauce thin, this is probably enough for two pizzas.

Ingredients for Pizza Crust:
3 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 cup warm water

Directions for Pizza Crust:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients together. Add oil and water and mix until dough comes together. It will probably be a little sticky, but that's fine because you'll need a flowered surface for rolling anyway. I just put some flour on my counter and on the dough ball so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin either. As soon as you have it mixed together, roll it out, poke all over with a fork (to prevent it from bubbling up when pre-baking), and place in the oven for about 8 minutes.

My circle pizza pan has a 14" diameter, and my pizza stones are 14" x 15". We like a thin crust, so this makes two pizzas for us. You can definitely do a half recipe if you're only making one pizza and want the crust thin. I've done this many times, and I'll give you a tip; Don't cause yourself the trouble of being exactly precise with the amount of yeast in a half recipe ; )  But what I commonly do is make two pizzas at a time, throw one in the freezer and throw one in the oven. The frozen one should have the pre-baked crust, have all the ingredients on it, but then wrapped well to be frozen prior to cooking.


The picture below is quite old and I don't think I have ever put it on my blog. As I mentioned earlier, Marshall likes much more sauce than I do. We usually compromise and go somewhere in the middle, which doesn't really make sense since then neither of us have it exactly how we'd prefer, so that time we made a crust barrier down the middle, he had his sauce his way, and I had my sauce my way (And different toppings as you probably noticed).


 In THIS post I explain how I made the tomato-basil-mozzarella pizza.


In general, pizza pleases everybody. I've made pizzas using the crust and sauce recipes listed above for people from all over the world (quite literally), and it's always a hit.

Why not give it a try? Even if you mostly entertain Americans ; ) 


No comments:

Post a Comment