January 27, 2015

Massaged Kale Salad with Lentils Sweet Potatoes and Caramelized Onions

I know, I know. You're still not sure about this whole kale salad thing. I wasn't either. I avoided it for a long time because I couldn't imagine how it could possibly be good.




I had even eaten them at buffet style dinners and not enjoyed it. But those kale salads were not massaged. And I'm telling you, when you massage the kale it becomes tender. Let me show you how the kale will change through pictures.

Before




After




That's the same bowl of kale after a three minute massage. It really makes a difference! 

It goes without saying that a salad is healthy, but this salad is particularly nutrient-dense. Lentils are a great source of protein, B-vitamins, fiber, magnesium, and iron (source), the sweet potatoes are a great source of antioxidants and also have anti-inflammatory properties (source), the kale.....Need I go there? We ALL know kale is one of the healthiest foods on the planet (source), and onions even have a lot of health benefits (source)....Who doesn't like caramelized onions? Each ingredient offers a different texture, flavor profile, and nutritional benefit, making this a really enjoyable salad. And definitely filling! Lots of fiber here! This salad is actually a complete meal, as opposed to lettuce with sliced carrots. That's not dinner.




The dressing is very simple. Basically a standard vinaigrette. The mustard is a really important ingredient as it thickens up the dressing quite bit, allowing you to get a generous coating. I don't usually like a lot of dressing on my salads, but a thick dressing is a great addition to a kale salad since the leaves are so durable and do have a pretty strong flavor.  




Are you with me? Have I lost you? Let's summarize in two words: delicious, nutritious. 


Without further ado, I present to you a kale salad that would satisfy me at the buffet table....And hopefully you, too! : )


Massaged Kale Salad with Lentils Sweet Potatoes and Caramelized Onions


Ingredients for the salad:
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and torn into bite size pieces, 4 - 6 cups
1 large sweet potato, diced small
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked through
2 onions, sliced
2-3 bacon slices, diced (optional) -- I've made this salad with and without the bacon. I like it both ways.
1 apple or pear, diced (optional) -- I didn't use this, but I think it would be a great addition to this salad

Ingredients for the dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 - 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Directions for the salad:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place diced sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and a 1/2 tsp. of oregano, and bake for 20 minutes or until tender, tossing halfway through.
2. Put all the kale into a large bowl and sprinkle it with salt. Massage for at least three minutes until darker green and tender.
3. Put the lentils in a medium pot and cover completely with water (there should be at least a couple inches of water above the lentils). Set stove to high and boil for about 10 minutes or until tender.
4. If you are using the bacon, crisp up the slices in a medium pan, remove to a paper towel lined plate, but leave the excess fat in the pan.
5. Saute your onions until caramelized in the bacon fat. Alternatively, use butter or your choice of oil to saute the onions.

Directions for the dressing:
Place all ingredients in a small jar, shake until well combined, taste for seasoning and adjust. You could also do this is a small bowl with a whisk.

Serving the salad:
I like to serve this salad at about room temperature. After preparing the potatoes and lentils I let them sit for about 10 minutes before tossing them together with all of the ingredients, including the dressing, in a large bowl. You can prepare the kale at any point in the day (or even the day before) because it will definitely last in the fridge after being massaged.

Because kale leaves are so durable compared to other leafy greens you may make salad out of, the leftovers are great! Not mushy at all even after bring dressed for a day. If you want to eat the salad cold you could even make the whole thing the day before you plan to eat it. It really doesn't change over night.




I hope you can conquer your fear of raw kale salads and give this one a try! I think it will change your mind.

If these flavors don't tickle your fancy, try my fruity kale salad with chicken bacon and lemon poppy seed dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment