January 22, 2015

The New Black Bean Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites

Remember back in May when I posted my black bean "cookies"?




I realized that with a few minor changes these "cookies" would have fewer ingredients, be no-bake bites, and would have a more desirable texture. So there would be three pros and zero cons to these changes. After making this realization I noticed that the blog I initially got the cookie idea from also had a recipe for a no-bake bite just like the one I imagined.

So today I present to you, the new and improved black bean chocolate peanut butter energy bites based on happyhealthymama's  recipe.




The only change I made was the nuts. I made mine with peanuts, and I think any softer nut, such as walnuts or pecans, would be great for this. I wasn't making a huge batch, so my ninja blender was too big but my mini food processor attachment for my immersion blender was too small (I did it in two batches, but it wasn't ideal). Because of this I did not get my dough completely smooth. The little bit of texture doesn't bother me, but if you have a food processor you shouldn't have this problem anyway.




Since I used peanuts and peanut butter mine are very peanut-y, as you may have guessed. I like them peanut-y, but just like with every recipe, make it the way you are most likely to enjoy it!


Black Bean Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites


Ingredients:

1/2 cup peanuts (walnuts, pecans, or  any nut you like)

1 1/2 cups black beans (1/2 cup of dry if you're soaking and boiling them on your own, otherwise use 1 15 oz. can, drained and rinsed well)

3/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)

1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1/4 - 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:

Place the nuts in a food processor or high speed blender. Process until they are crumb-like. Add the black beans and process until incorporated. Add all other ingredients and process until smooth. Roll into balls (about a heaping tablespoon size) and place in a wax paper lined container with a lid that you would like to store them in. Store in the refrigerator.


I love having these around for a mid-morning bite to get you through till lunch, a post workout snack, or an afternoon pick-me-up. They are NOT dessert, but if you use the chocolate chips they may even satisfy your sweet tooth.

If you have never tried putting black beans in something sweetened before I can see why you would be afraid of this, but the Asians make candy out of beans....I know from experience. It's a texture thing, not a flavor thing. And if that isn't enough to convince you - protein, iron, calcium, and fiber are four big reasons to give these a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment