March 13, 2015

Coconut Oil, Butter, and Maple Syrup Coffee

You think I'm crazy, don't you? Coconut oil and butter in coffee?

Now let me ask you this:

When is butter NOT a good idea?





I can see why you might be confused right now. Sounds strange and greasy, doesn't it?. Well let me tell you, I'm not a coffee every morning kind of person, but when I do have it I am a black coffee kind of girl. I love an occasional Starbucks frappuccino, and cappuccinos are great, but neither of those are coffee to me. Coffee is black (more like dark brown), bitter, and fantastic just the way it is. I still hold to that opinion, but let me explain to you when this wonderful coffee creation comes in.


6:00 am - Marshall and I wake up

6:15 am - I start my day with kitchen related activities, Marshall is still in bed.

6:30 am - I start getting hungry, but I always eat breakfast with Marshall who has now made it to the shower.

6:35 am - Now that I've started making breakfast, I can't help but consume something to start my metabolism since breakfast may still be 20 minutes away.

6:40 am - Coffee with butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup, enters the picture, is surprisingly delicious, and has the substance to hold me over till breakfast!




If you Google this concept you'll definitely get mixed opinions concerning the health benefits (or lack thereof), but that's how every subject is. And I tend to think that most of the popular nutrition trends and fad diets are silly, short-lived, and not well supported.

So here is what I do know: I like coffee, I like coconut oil, I like butter, and I like maple syrup. I also know that coconut oil and grass-fed butter contain healthy fats and plenty of vitamins that my body needs, and maple syrup is a natural source of sugar that also contains some vitamins and minerals. I know that it's good to get your metabolism going in the morning (which is why breakfast really is the most important meal of the day : ), and a black cup of coffee basically just gives you a bunch of caffeine without giving you body much else to work with. This combination gives you your morning coffee, along with a supply of nutritious fats to hold you over till breakfast, which is something that can't be said about a black cup of coffee.

But let's set health reasons aside for a minute, and let me say this: The main reason I'm posting this has nothing to do with health. I just really enjoy it : )


Coconut Oil Butter Coffee


Ingredients:
1 cup coffee (I use the middle setting on my Keurig, which is 7.5 oz.)
1 tbsp. coconut oil
2 tsp. butter
1 tsp. maple syrup
splash of milk (optional)

Directions:
Place the coconut oil, butter, and maple syrup in the bottom of a large mug. If using a Keurig, brew the coffee right on top of the other ingredients. Add milk in at the end if you're using it. Use handheld milk frother to blend everything together. Alternatively, brew coffee as you normally would, add all ingredients to a blender (including brewed coffee), and blend everything until combined.


The ratio you'll see if you look this up online is usually 1 tbsp. of each fat to 8 oz. of coffee, but I prefer it with a little less butter than that. I love it with the maple syrup, and 1 tsp. isn't that much, but if you'd rather skip the sugar then go for it. I usually don't use the milk but I have before and it's tasty that way as well.


I hope you enjoy this if you're brave enough to give this crazy idea a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment