March 15, 2015

Menu

Sunday - English Pot Roast, Yorkshire pudding, and roasted broccoli

Monday - Pad Thai -- No tofu and extra shrimp.

Tuesday - Massaged Kale Salad with Lentils Sweet Potatoes and Caramelized Onions

Wednesday - Black pepper stir-fried noodles -- With chicken instead of tofu and roasted broccoli instead of spinach.

Friday - Honey Lime Sweet Potato Tacos -- Yum!


I'm posting this today (Sunday) and I have already made and eaten the English pot roast, Yorkshire pudding, and roasted broccoli. Marshall heard about this meal while in England (minus the broccoli), though never had a chance to try it. He bought me a cookbook there (a HUGE one), and of course it had recipes for pot roast and Yorkshire pudding, so he really wanted me to try my hand at it (part of the reason he bought the cookbook : ).

I made this once before (after he came home from England, but long before today), but last time the Yorkshire pudding wasn't a big success. It doesn't help that I've never eaten it in England, or anywhere that claims to make a traditional version (or anywhere at all for that matter!), and neither has he. It can be difficult to make new dishes when you have no idea what you're shooting for. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I did it properly today! After making it last time I was wondering why people like it so much, but now I understand.

It's made from flour, eggs, milk, and water. Sounds simple, right? It's really isn't difficult, but the batter is really runny so this time I was really uncertain of how it would come out (I couldn't remember the batter consistency from last time). After making the batter, you pour the batter into a baking dish that is greased with beef fat, so the outside gets all crispy and tasty. I wouldn't say the consistency is pudding like, but more chewy and soft with a crispy outside. I really have no idea how to describe it, but it's really tasty! Marshall was also happy that it came out well, and now we just hope that it was actually correct : )


 

No comments:

Post a Comment