April 12, 2015

Food Ramblings - On Recent Tasty Food

I do not like the word epic. These days it's so over used that it barely means anything. When I hear the word epic I expect to be disappointed because I try my best to use words correctly, and the definition of epic according to my Webster's dictionary is as follows:

"....Dealing with or characterized by events of historical or legendary importance"

Knowing the definition would you still use it to explain the taco you just ate, the shoes you just bought, or the fact that you just found a nickel on the ground?

And yes, I used an actual hard cover book version of the dictionary to look that up. Not the internet. I know, I know, I don't use the word epic and I still use real books. I've been saying for a long time now that I think I landed in the wrong century.

Anyway, because of what I just said I cannot use the word epic to describe these cinnamon rolls as is done in the original post, however, if I wanted to fit in with the rest of society, and blend in with the generation I actually came from, I would call these epic, and it wouldn't be an understatement.




We ate these fresh on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago, and my goodness, I think I never enjoyed a cinnamon rolls as much as this one. The texture of the bread part was so soft, melt in your mouth, drool-worthy. From a nutrition stand point these may not benefit your health, but I'm all for splurges now and then, and if you're going to splurge I would recommend you do it in style. These cinnamon rolls are definitely a way to splurge in style. Make them. On a Saturday. And please enjoy them with coffee or tea. But only make them if you are going to sit down and enjoy each bite. It's not worth it otherwise. Okay, moving on.

What happens when you are almost out of your lovely German honey and want none of it to go to waste?




You make tea in the jar to get all of the honey out of there that was too sticky for even my new spatula to get out. This way all that yummy honey goodness goes into your chamomile tea : )

Now that the warmer weather is coming around I have been craving muesli again. The past couple of days the craving hit me mid day and I really wanted it for lunch. I obviously didn't have time to let it soak for 8 hours since it was already lunchtime, so I toasted the oats and tossed them together with cashew milk, almonds, raisins, and a touch of maple syrup. SO good! The toasted oats surprised me with their tasty-ness. Nutty, delicious, and highly recommended. I've since made it this way with berries instead of raisins and that was also delightful.

Last but not least on the food ramblings list is the dish we are having for dinner tonight. Chickpea crepes with caramelized onions, roasted asparagus, dill, and cheese.




This is from my brand new cookbook My New Roots. I made this for lunch a few days ago having no idea if I would like it. I figured it would at least be decent since I like asparagus, but the chickpea crepe was what I wasn't so sure about. Turns out it was my favorite part of the dish! Altogether it was really tasty, but the crepe alone was even really good. You can't really tell unless you're looking for it, but the crepe pictured here completely fell apart. The first one I made had just a small tear, but I ate that whole crepe before assembly so I had to use this broken one for the real deal. Anyway, loved it so much I'm making it for dinner tonight. 

By the way, ever seen or heard of white asparagus? I was first introduced to it in Germany last year. We were there during spargel (German word for asparagus) season, and you could find it on almost every restaurant's menu, and they were most likely advertising a special dish that involved white asparagus. I would describe it as being milder and sweeter than green asparagus. The outside can be tough so it's actually best to peel a thin layer off with a vegetable peeler. When I saw it at the market last week I just had to buy it, especially because I had just seen the above recipe in my cookbook. You could totally just use  green asparagus, but I was inspired, excited, and wanted to finally prepare white asparagus on my own.

Well, that's it for food ramblings right now.

Have you tried any new ingredients these days whether in season or not? What's your favorite Spring produce?



No comments:

Post a Comment