August 27, 2015

Apple Peanut Butter Oats

This breakfast has been waiting a long time to be made. I had this idea months and months ago, maybe even a year, and for some reason I never got around to making it. I have no excuse either because it's rare that I don't have all of these ingredients sitting around.




What actually triggered me to make this (besides the note I've had on my computer all year) was that I wanted to prepare breakfast for the next day the evening before so I could sleep a little longer in the morning. I even prepared most of Marshall's lunch ahead of time (which I typically do in the morning) so that I could get up after he showered just in time to have breakfast with him before he left for work. Muesli is a common make-ahead breakfast around here but I wanted to send him with that for part of his lunch and didn't want him to have to eat it twice in one day. 

That's when I remembered about this idea I had oh so long ago, and I had just purchased some good looking apples for the first time in a while. I typically buy apples year round since Marshall likes them so much, but this year they just really weren't good during the Summer so I mostly stuck with seasonal fruits. These were the first good looking and affordable apples I've seen in a while. 




I wanted there to be just enough milk in this to thin out the peanut butter so that the oats could soak in it. It's not intended to be like a bowl of cereal or muesli, but more like apples and oats coated in a peanut butter "sauce".

The verdict: Love! Healthy, fast, tasty, and ready to go as soon as you wake up if made the night before. Marshall liked it as well so this will be added to our breakfast list. 





Apple Peanut Butter Oats

Ingredients:
1/2 a medium apple, finely diced
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon maple syrup

Directions:
Add the peanut butter to a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of the milk. Whisk until combined. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of milk and all other ingredients, stir well, cover, and refrigerate overnight.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment