August 7, 2015

Salmon Salad - No Cooking Required!

After finding out upon arrival in Bristol that I wouldn't have a kitchen, I was shocked.




My first thought was that I wouldn't be able to prepare any food at all, but after some consideration and Pinterest browsing I realized that I actually had quite a few options.

This recipe came about when I decided I wanted to make chicken salad (with canned chicken) only to find out that every grocery I could find didn't carry it. Marshall is not a fan of tuna (though he does enjoy these Tuna Cakes with Creamy Chive Sauce), so I didn't really want to make a tuna salad. Salmon was the next protein to cross my mind, and it turns out there is a plethora of canned salmon being sold in Bristol. Salmon salad it was.




After throwing this together (but before tasting) I realized that I hadn't made something like this before, didn't follow a recipe that claimed to be life-changing, didn't follow a recipe at all for that matter, didn't taste it at all during the process of making it, and I had no idea what it was going to taste like. It is a very simple recipe, but I was suddenly hesitant to taste this fish salad before me. 

Thankfully, after the first taste I loved it! No adjusting required and I was looking forward to dinner.

This was the first meal I prepared for us while we were there, and it turns out that of all the things I prepared during that month, this was definitely my favorite! 

You'll have to pardon the not-so-great pictures since I was working in an area with no windows...




Salmon Salad


Ingredients:
2 cans Salmon, drained (about 12 oz.)
2-4 tablespoons mayo, depending on how creamy you want it
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon capers
Kalamata olives, quartered (optional)
dash of salt

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine thoroughly. Taste and adjust.

Serving:
I served this on top of a pile of greens with tomatoes and olives that I dressed with balsamic dressing to make a great salad, as well as sandwich style with crescents.

Both styles of serving this were delicious, and we ate this a few times while in Bristol. It will now be a go-to cheap seafood dinner, especially for hot days when I don't want to cook!


No comments:

Post a Comment