March 22, 2015

10 of My Staple Foods

When I say staple foods I basically mean things I don't tend to go more than week without having. Most of these things I consume on almost a daily basis, and most of them could be found in our home almost any day you walk in. The interesting thing is that I clearly see now that my eating habits have changed over the past year, because aside from the first three, I didn't start eating most of these things (at least not regularly) until one or two years ago. All the changes were for the better though. And for people who say that healthy food isn't good food, that may be true for you but this is what my body has come to love, appreciate, and crave. not just for health reasons either, but also because it's tasty.




  1. Peanut Butter - I feel like it wouldn't be fair to give any other food the number one spot on this list. No matter what time of day or what kind of food phases I'm going through, peanut butter seems to be a constant. So tasty, especially by the spoonful.
  2. Bananas - What would life be like without bananas? I'd have more leg cramps and one less vehicle for my peanut butter. Need I say more?
  3. Apples - It would be a rare day if you opened my fridge and didn't find apples. Not only does Marshall like them more than almost any other fruit, I'll eat them any day as well. Ever had them sliced with cinnamon on top? Try it!
  4. Oats - Whether steel cut or rolled, I eat oats on a weekly basis for sure, but almost daily. Between porridge-style oatsmy favorite granola bars, and muesli, we get our fair share of oats around here.
  5. Kale - I'm not just trying to be that health freak over here, but kale really is one of our most common vegetables. We both like it sauteed as a side, it's fabulous cooked up in sausage fat as in my sausage potato kale skillet, and we've now been enjoying it raw in kale salads such as my massaged kale salad with lentils sweet potatoes and caramelized onions
  6. Kombucha - This fermented tea drink is fabulous for your digestive system. It has loads of B-vitamins, and is a great probiotic source. I would say it's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired it there's no going back! I crave my kombucha on a daily basis, and I notice a difference when I don't have it. I've been loving it flavored with ginger. Want to read more? This article has a lot to say!
  7. Nuts - I could have easily formed half of this list of nuts alone, but that would have been boring. Almonds and walnuts are my favorite these days, but I usually have several kinds of nuts stocked in the pantry. They are a great snack alongside some dried fruit and/or chocolate, and they are a key ingredient in many of the bars/energy bites I make. My new favorite thing to do with them is toast them and add them to pasta dishes, (especially pesto pasta!) or toast them, grind them, and use them in place of bread crumbs or add them to sauces. They're so versatile and so good for you!
  8. Sweet potatoes - This is funny for me to say since last year neither of us even liked them that much. Now I cook these up for breakfast with eggs and/or sausage, roast them as a side dish, cook them in soup, make them into tacos, quick breads, casseroles....you name it! 
  9. Dark chocolate - Marshall and I have been making dark chocolate and red wine a fairly common treat after dinner, and here's why: First of all, I would rarely choose cake or cookies when I could choose dark chocolate and red wine even if were strictly talking taste and enjoyment level. And then when you talk health benefits it gets even better! If I can have dessert, consume antioxidants, all while possibly lowering my blood pressure, why wouldn't I? It's a win-win situation. I could live without the red wine if I had to, but not without the dark chocolate. When you're buying 70% or higher this stuff is practically a super food....At least when it comes to a dessert. 
  10. Green smoothies - My most common combination is banana, cocoa powder, peanut butter, kefir, water or milk, and spinach. I do enjoy salad, but I can't say I would sit down and eat a huge salad for breakfast. That would be so weird. Green smoothies are a delicious way for me to start the day with a bunch of greens, plus that's how I like to drink my kefir. Unfamiliar with kefir? Here is an introduction to what kefir is and here is a fantastic article about the health benefits.

There are a lot more items I could put on this list, but this is a decent amount of the foods that I regularly eat, and gives you a good summary of my constant grocery list : ) 

What are some of your regular foods that you wouldn't want to live without? Any overlap with mine?


No comments:

Post a Comment